Thanksgiving is typically a time for classics – the stuffing, mashed potatoes, turkey, cornbread…the list goes on. It can also be a little bit of a hectic holiday, with friends and family coming to visit, cooking for larger crowds, making numerous recipes. We’ve got you! Here’s a produce-packed Thanksgiving checklist to save you time, energy and help you add the delicious flavors of fruits and vegetables to your table.
7 Days Before
- Finalize your menu. Double check with guests who are bringing a dish to pass and make sure you have all the courses of your meal covered. See where you can add fruits and vegetables into your classic dishes. Here’s some inspo for you!
- Make sure you have enough dishes and utensils to serve your group.
- Brainstorm your table décor. Fresh flowers and produce can add to a lovely tablescape! Steal this beautiful idea by using apples and pears as place cards.
- Make a detailed grocery list.
5 Days Before
- If you purchased a frozen turkey, begin defrosting it in your refrigerator.
- Stock up on your cocktail & mocktail fixings. This is a great way to incorporate fruits into the meal. Here are some recipe ideas to get you started.
- Purchase the non-perishable ingredients needed for your meal.
- Purchase the remaining perishable ingredients you need.
- Prepare chilled menu items ahead of time. Things like cranberry sauce, snack items like glazed nuts or snack bites, even some appetizers like dips.
- Pick up table décor items, like your fresh flowers or produce items to add to the table.
- Chop your vegetables and herbs ahead of time and store them in the refrigerator.
- Get ahead on some of your side dishes. Stuffing is great to prep ahead of time. Try this vegetarian leek stuffing or apple cranberry stuffing.
- Prep your desserts or bake them ahead of time. Pies are perfect for adding a little more produce to your meal! Or maybe try some poached pears.
- Calculate your turkey’s roasting time based on its weight.
- Set your table.
- Enjoy a nourishing breakfast. We’ve got some ideas for you here.
- Prepare the turkey for roasting.
- Finish making your side dishes.
- Make the gravy.
- Rewarm your desserts during dinner.